9 more excellent things that have happened this week
1. A friend whom I was recently missing just joined Facebook and found me.
2. One of the orchids started blooming on Sunday.
3. After walking Griff and our neighbor's children to school on Monday, the younger boys and I continued a mile up Cary Street, met up with friends for an impromptu date at the new Ellwood's Cafe (our first time, we love it), then shopped across the lot at Ellwood's, then headed a mile back home, for a round trip of 2.6 miles in perfect spring weather. Have I mentioned how much I love where we live?
4.Xander has started saying "OK." Actually, he's repeating it - if I tell him something and say, "OK?" he says "K" as if he understands. Which he probably does.
5. During Xander's nap today, Reese and I totally vacuumed and wiped down the car and turned Xander's car seat around, since he finally made the next weight class. Reese "helped" by cavorting on car seats and generally just enjoyed being alone with me.
6. Reese is intrigued by the nicknames that Skippyjon Jones' mama calls him and has asked me to call him "my little crumbcake." We noticed that Small Pig is dedicated to "Dreamnose" and wondered about that nickname. We think maybe Griff is our Dreamnose.
7. Griff and I recycled a bunch of old ratty, filled-up coloring books and then had a B&N trip tonight, where we chose a doodle book to fill his need for new activities. I was happily surprised that he volunteered his own money for these purchases - I had planned to buy them for him but before we left the house he grabbed his own wallet and we checked how much money he had. He was clearly assuming he would pay his own way. The doodle book was pricey so I told him that I would pay half. He seemed really grateful that I would help him make the purchase. I had also found a geometric design book that I knew my pattern-lover would adore (and he did, I mean total blissed-out adoration), and offered to buy it for him. He was really excited about paying with his own money; counting it out was a little confusing for him but we did it together and he just beamed with pride. On the way home he exclaimed that his new book is "extraordinarily awesome". I think he's extraordinarily awesome.
8. The printer I won arrived today! Granted, I'm not going to set it up until I can get a new computer - our PC is about 7 years old and every time I stick more photo files onto it I worry that I'm going to crash it. It has zip for memory. Yes, I have an accessory hard drive - but the PC still isn't sufficient for today's computing demands. We're overdue for a new one. Recommendations?
9. Our back yard is awesome. The kids and I are out there all the time learning its nooks and crannies. This evening we pumped up Griff's bike tire, he scootered around the neighborhood, the younger boys took turns on a tricycle and digging in the dirt, and then they hunted for bugs while I poked around looking for photos to take and crepe myrtle pods to collect. We capped the evening with a bath for the grubby guys and pizza. Daddy arrived home just in time for R/X's bedtime and G and I made our B&N escape.